Office - Day Shift
8:30am to 5:00pm
Dec 2nd, 2022
The SMT (Surface Mount Technology) Production Manager will lead and develop the SMT processes of the production. The SMT Production Manager will have responsibility for ensuring that the SMT team meets stated on-time delivery, quality, and productivity requirements, and that all SMT staff are professionally trained. The SMT Production Manager will implement and set the stage for Kaizen and act as a positive influencer in fostering continuous improvement activities and processes. The incumbent will also be a leader in the implementation of Lean Manufacturing, 5S and Visual Factory concepts and practices. This position will report to the Director of Operations at our Markham facilities in Ontario, Canada.
- Ensure smooth operations of all SMT processes and procedures.
- Confer with the Director of Operations to formulate and set strategies, policies, metrics, and performance targets for SMT production.
- Develop, maintain, and ensure SMT schedule is being followed.
- Communicate production status at Vexos on an on-going basis to functional and business management and ensure that Vexos management stays appropriately engaged with SMT production issues.
- Promote Continuous Improvement through support of Lean Manufacturing programs, including but not limited to: Visual Stream Mapping, Visual Factory, Six Sigma, and 5S.
- Work with cross-functional teams in a matrix environment: o Interface with Sales and Purchasing to determine customer needs and requirements, and material availability.
- Identify and communicate all issues related to quality with the Manufacturing and Quality Assurance support group.
- Identify and resolve Process / Equipment requirements with the Manufacturing or Engineering Support groups.
- Anticipate and prevent any obstacles that may impede the production process.
- Monitor operators’ daily scan practice and resolve any identified issues immediately.
- Address and analyze daily missed scan boards from the Daily Scan Report.
- Maintain requirement of supplies for production.
- Report any major/continuous quality failures (or suspected) to for QC supervisor and QA to verify.
- Verify all processes are performed to the documentation.
- Make sure housekeeping is being done at all areas and is maintained at all times.
- Ensure materials/boards are properly managed and stored according to ESD guidelines.
- Ensure quality standards are maintained all through the production.
- Planning and implementation of changes to the SMT production structure to ensure present and future requirements are maintained, including staffing and manpower.
- Position may involve physical demands such as lifting of heavy objects.
- Participate in performance review for SMT staff.
- Work with the HR department to develop and maintain an employee training program for SMT production skills.
- Review Health & Safety issues with other Production Leaders and escalate the issues to the attention of the Director of Operations in a timely manner per need.
- Maintain daily attendance and Vacation Accruals of all employees using ADP.
- Perform other tasks as required.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- 7-10 years of successful mid-to-senior management/leadership experience in manufacturing
- Demonstrated technical depth and proficient managerial skill to address production issues and resource prioritization
- Experience in manufacturing in EMS and/or a mid to low volume electronics OEM
- Good knowledge of electronic manufacturing processes including PCBA (SMT/Through Hole), Systems Level Box-Build, and Test Methodologies
- Demonstrated abilities, comfort level and general computer proficiency, knowledge and experience and with Shop Floor Management Control, ERP systems, and MS Office Programs
- Knowledge of using PDA to locate, modify and place the parts
- Knowledge and demonstrated understanding of ESD control
- Demonstrated understanding of electronic components and stock control
- Strong leadership abilities
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Must have the ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, work well under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Physically capable to work on feet and carry objects of up to 20 lbs as needed
- Good work habits and housekeeping
- The position location is based in Markham, Ontario facilities (Building A and/or Building B)
- Incumbent must be open to working at both facilities as business and operational needs dictate
The SMT Production Manager’s normal hours of work and schedule is Monday to Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM. This position is critical to our business operations and oversees and manages team members across 3 shifts, days (7:00 AM – 3:30 PM), afternoons (3:30 PM – 12:00 AM) and nights (11:00 PM – 7:00 AM). The ideal candidate will have a willingness to work hours as needed based on critical business needs; this includes flexing their time to work later during the week, coming in overnight or working on weekends as required.
Vexos is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Vexos is committed to diversity in its workplaces and welcomes applications from all visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities among other self-identified diverse groups. Vexos thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those qualified and considered for an interview will be contacted.
The successful incumbent shall agree and be responsible for adhering to and following Company best practices, policies, guidelines, implementation measures and processes adhering to COVID-19.
How to Apply
If you are interested and qualified for this opportunity, please use the Apply Online button below and remember to attach your application (resume and detailed cover letter outlining your motivation and interest in this position) and include the position in the ‘Desired Position’ field.